BCxA Annual Conference 2023: Imagination to Innovation
The BCxA Annual Conference is set to take place in Orlando, Florida, from October 4th to October 6th, 2023. This event promises to be a hub of innovation and knowledge sharing in the field of Commissioning (Cx). With the theme "Imagination to Innovation," this year's conference is a must-attend for professionals seeking to stay at the forefront of advancements in Cx.
Unlocking the Capabilities
Attendees can expect a diverse range of sessions, workshops, and networking opportunities that will empower them with the latest tools, techniques, and strategies in commissioning. The BCxA Annual Conference offers:
The conference features renowned experts and thought leaders who will share their knowledge and experiences in commissioning, covering a wide spectrum of topics.
For those looking to dive deeper into specific areas, a pre-conference workshop titled "Commissioning and Prefabricated Assemblies" will be presented by DPR Construction. This workshop will provide best practices for inspecting prefabricated equipment assemblies, helping attendees understand how to ensure quality in these critical components of building systems.
The conference agenda is packed with technical sessions covering topics such as lighting and lighting control systems, geothermal system commissioning, energy storage systems, and more. These sessions will equip attendees with actionable insights and knowledge that can be applied in real-world scenarios.
Connect with peers, industry leaders, and potential collaborators during the conference's numerous networking events, including breakfasts, lunches, and an exhibit hall reception.
Who Should Attend?
The BCxA Annual Conference is tailored for professionals involved in commissioning, including:
- Commissioning Agents
- Building Owners
- Facility Managers
- Architects and Engineers
- Energy Consultants
- Construction Managers
- And anyone interested in staying up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices in commissioning.
What You Need to Attend
To participate in this insightful event, you will need:
- Registration: Secure your spot by registering for the BCxA Annual Conference.
- Travel Arrangements: Make travel arrangements to Orlando, Florida, where the conference will be held.
- Accommodations: Book your stay at the Orlando World Center Marriott, where the conference will take place, to ensure a convenient and enjoyable experience.
- Enthusiasm: Bring your passion for commissioning and a willingness to learn and collaborate with industry peers.
If funding your attendance is a concern, the BCxA offers a letter template that can assist in discussing your participation with your employer.
Here are some highlights from the conference agenda:
Better Light Than Never: New Updates to IES LP-8, The Commissioning Standard for Lighting and Lighting Control Systems
Presented by James Donson, PE, LC, BEAP
The Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) is renowned as the authority in the realm of lighting engineering and practices. In anticipation of early 2024, the IES is preparing to unveil a revamped edition of their Lighting Practice document, LP-8, titled "The Commissioning Process Applied to Lighting and Lighting Control Systems."
This ANSI-accredited standard has undergone a meticulous revision process, involving commissioning providers, lighting designers, lighting control specifiers, researchers, and manufacturers. The aim is to bring it in line with contemporary lighting systems, including LED luminaires and networked lighting controls.
- Define the Role of LP-8 within Standard Commissioning Practices
- Enhance Commissioning Scope and Value
- Master New Construction Commissioning
- Apply LP-8 to Existing Building Commissioning
Discover how LP-8 aligns with the standard commissioning practices recognized by organizations such as ASHRAE and the BCxA. Understand its pivotal role in the commissioning process.
Learn how LP-8 can be leveraged to more precisely define the scope of commissioning services, ultimately delivering enhanced value to building owners and operators.
Explore how LP-8's new appendix content empowers you to provide cutting-edge commissioning services for new construction projects, ensuring the delivery of functional, efficient, and high-quality lighting and lighting control systems.
Gain insights into utilizing LP-8 in the context of existing building commissioning. Learn how to identify, troubleshoot, diagnose, and resolve lighting-related issues effectively.
Geothermal System Commissioning: Why It's Important
Steven Gunther PE, LEED GA of Strategic Energy Solutions, Inc., will discuss the significance of geothermal system commissioning. Geothermal systems are gaining popularity for their energy efficiency, and this session will explore the importance of commissioning these systems effectively.
Effective Technical Writing: Saying More with Less
Nicole Imeson, P.L.(Eng),P.Tech.(Eng.), will lead a session on effective technical writing. Clear and concise documentation is essential in commissioning, and this presentation will help attendees improve their writing skills to convey complex information more effectively.
Leveraging Automated Testing for Laboratory Commissioning
Steven M. Frank, PhD of the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, along with Kate DuMez, PE, CCP, CEM, LEED AP BD+C of Group14 Engineering, PBC, will discuss the advantages of leveraging automated testing for laboratory commissioning. Automation is transforming various industries, and this session explores its application in commissioning for laboratories.
Building Enclosure Commissioning Requirements in Energy Codes
Presenter: Krishnan Gowri, Ph.D., BEMP, LEED AP, ASHRAE Fellow
Building enclosure commissioning is a critical aspect of ensuring the energy efficiency and performance of modern structures. In this enlightening presentation by Krishnan Gowri, a renowned expert in the field, attendees will gain valuable insights into the latest developments in building enclosure commissioning requirements as stipulated by state energy codes and ASHRAE standards.
The presentation will cover:
- Verification, Testing, and Documentation: Learn about the essential verification, testing, and documentation requirements integral to the building enclosure commissioning process. Discover how these elements contribute to the overall success of a project.
- Energy Code Compliance: Understand the current thermal and air barrier requirements outlined in energy codes. Compliance with these codes is vital for optimizing a building's thermal performance and energy efficiency.
- Performance Assessment Techniques: Explore assessment techniques that enable the identification and mitigation of thermal bridging, moisture, and air barrier performance issues during the design review phase. These techniques are crucial for creating high-performing building enclosures.
- Air Barrier Design and Documentation: Delve into the intricacies of air barrier design, construction, and documentation necessary to meet energy code enclosure commissioning requirements. Mastery of these aspects is key to ensuring a building's energy efficiency and compliance with standards.
- Describe the verification, testing, and documentation requirements in the building enclosure commissioning process.
- Identify the current energy code thermal and air barrier requirements for building enclosure commissioning.
- Detail the thermal and moisture performance assessment techniques during the design review.
- Summarize the air barrier design, construction, and documentation to comply with energy code enclosure commissioning requirements.
This presentation by Krishnan Gowri promises to provide attendees with actionable knowledge and strategies to excel in building enclosure commissioning within the framework of evolving energy codes. Don't miss this opportunity to stay ahead in the field of commissioning at the BCxA Annual Conference 2023.
Don't Miss Out
The BCxA Annual Conference 2023 promises to be an invaluable experience for commissioning professionals. Mark your calendars for October 4-6, 2023, and join us in Orlando, Florida, for a journey from imagination to innovation in the world of commissioning.
For more information and registration details, visit the official conference website.